The Basic Values of Icelandic Society
Usually, I dont blog in English.
However, lately we have noticed a bit of misunderstanding about the basic values of Icelandic society, so I decided to translate the list into english. Hopefully, this will help someone. Please note that the list might have changed since I learned it in elementary school. …
1) It´s forbidden to pee on a wall in downtown Reykjavík after 10 pm on weekends.
2) It´s forbidden to delay traffic of cars or any other vehicles, on roads or in other places, such as work areas.
3) Free speach is allowed and the society encourages open and unchained debate and exchange of opinion by accepted means.
4) Police officers and other employees enacting government policy are not to be disturbed.
5) Foreigners below age 24 are not to get engaged, married or in any other way emotionally involved to Icelanders without connections in the Icelandic Althingi (which happens to be the oldest Parliament in the world etc.).
6) Icelandic nature is our own and not other peoples business.
7) Protesting foreign dictators on official visits in Iceland is allowed as long as the dictator does not notice the protest.
8) The Icelandic government, on behalf of the Icelandic people, can for politically convenient reasons support any war it wishes without having any responsibility whatsoever for the consequences.
9) Foreign employees in foreign companies working for government supported projects are de facto not protected by the Icelandic law.
10) America was discovered by Leifur Eiríksson the Lucky, whom was, is and always will be an Icelander.
11) This list can be changed on a day-to-day basis in accordance with political opinions of Icelandic officials.
12) Iceland is a free and open democracy. Icelanders and visitors to Iceland should be thankful for that.